New York Bridal Week: the royal wedding dresses that made a comeback
Ever since the Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton, stepped out in her lace Alexander McQueen wedding dress, she served as an inspiration for designers and brides-to-be alike.
The “Kate effect” took hold and three years on, bridal designers are still emulating her show-stopping gown. At this month’s New York Bridal Week, Kate’s dress came back into the limelight in the form of one of Carolina Herrera’s spring 2015 gowns.
Much like the royal wedding dress designed by Sarah Burton, Carolina’s catwalk number featured a tight bodice with long, lace sleeves and a low-cut V neckline.
The second royal princess who stole hearts had to be Princess Madeleine of Sweden. The brunette beauty wore a fairytale gown designed by Valentino Garavani — a silk organza creation featuring an off-the-shoulder neckline, appliquéd ivory-hued Chantilly lace and a wide flowing skirt.
Oscar de la Renta was just one of the designers who was inspired by Princess Madeleine’s “royal look” and channelled it into his spring 2015 collection, with his high lace necklines and short sleeves.
The third princess who conquered the Big Apple catwalks this year was the late Princess Grace of Monaco, whose iconic gown made a comeback in Marchesa’s collection.
The Hollywood actress was an angelic vision in her wedding dress, which was made up of a fitted lace bodice and bell-shaped satin skirt, fused together with a pleated waist. While Grace’s 1956 design consisted of long lace sleeves, Marchesa gave the look a modern twist with delicate sweet short sleeves.
- Fashion Style: See all of stylish Kate’s recycled outfits
- ‘Approachable, modern and not dictated by fashion’: Australian designers give their verdict on Kate’s Royal tour outfits
- Kate dons stunning sell-out frock
- 16 Detoxing Cleanse Foods
- 6 Reasons You’re Not Seeing Results from Your Workouts
- 6 Mistakes You’ve Been Making With Your Flat Iron
- How to Save on Wedding Gifts
- The Endearing Things Spouses Secretly Think About Their Partners
- 10 Creative Things to Do With Your Bridal Gown Post Wedding